- Live lactic acid bacteria, prebiotics, multivitamins.
Prolife: a complete supplement that regulates bacterial flora of the intestine.
- Prolife lactic acid bacteria: lively, long-lived and lots of them!
- Long life for probiotics: Prolife’s production technology
- Prolife: the first probiotics with certified vitality
- Prebiotics: of key importance in the life of probiotics
- Together, probiotics and prebiotics are more effective
- Several strains are better than one
- Prolife: made and guaranteed by Zeta Farmaceutici
Live lactic acid bacteria, prebiotics, multivitamins.
Prolife: a complete supplement that regulates bacterial flora of the intestine.
THE INTESTINE AND HEALTH
Our intestine serves not only to digest and metabolise food. It also plays an important part in the health of our body.
An upset intestine may lead to the onset of many conditions and diseases:
- diarrhoea, gastroenteritis, intestinal infections, colic attacks;
- weakening of the immune system, respiratory infections, influenza;
- atopic dermatitis;
- food intolerance.
So it is important that the intestine always functions regularly. To achieve this, its bacterial flora must not be compromised, but must be kept “healthy”.
The intestine is up to 6 metres long with a surface area equivalent to that of a tennis court. Bacterial flora grows on this surface.
Bacterial flora is made up of many billions of microorganisms, which belong to over 400 different species. Their metabolic activity can influence our state of health.
- Some bacteria are harmful.
- Other bacteria are beneficial. These include lactic acid bacteria such as lactobacilli and bifidobacteria.
WHAT LACTIC ACID BACTERIA DO
Like all “helpful” bacteria, lactic acid bacteria can give protection, preventing the growth and activity of harmful bacteria.
They may also have many other functions helpful to our body. So they can:
- help the metabolism, enabling absorption of the nutrients we eat;
- produce vitamins and short-chain fatty acids, with important physiological functions for the body;
- stimulate the development and functioning of the immune system;
- strengthen the intestinal barrier.
PROLIFE AND THE BALANCE OF BACTERIAL FLORA IN THE INTESTINE
The wellbeing of the intestine depends upon its bacterial flora being always balanced. This occurs when the harmful bacteria do not outnumber the “helpful” ones.
The balance of bacterial flora in the intestine can be compromised:
- after taking antibiotics;
- due to psycho-physical, dietary or environmental stress.
This may result in a series of upsets in the intestine, but also in weakness and general malaise.
In such cases, it may help to supplement the number and quality of microorganisms in the intestine, thus rebalancing its bacterial flora.
Prolife is a complete supplement. It is able to rebalance the bacterial flora of the intestine because it contains:
•probiotic microorganisms (i.e. live lactic acid bacteria);
• prebiotic oligosaccharides;
Probiotics and prebiotics enable the development of helpful bacteria that live in the intestine. The vitamins strengthen the immune system’s defences.
Prolife lactic acid bacteria: lively, long-lived and lots of them!
LACTIC ACID BACTERIA AND PROBIOTICS
Not all lactic acid bacteria can be called probiotics. The guidelines of the Ministry of Health, based on a document issued by FAO/WHO in 2001, define probiotics as: “Live microorganisms which when administered in adequate amounts as part of a food or supplement confer a health benefit on the host”.
Based on this definition, lactic acid bacteria can only be called probiotics if:
• they are live and maintain their vitality over time, i.e. for the entire shelf life of the products containing them;
• they are taken in adequate amounts;
• they have a positive effect on the consumer’s health;
• they pose no danger to the health of the user.
In 2013 the Ministry of Health issued very precise indications as to the quantity of probiotic microorganisms that must be found in a food supplement or probiotic food. In particular:
• at expiry date of the product, there must be at least 1,000,000,000 live cells for at least one of the strains in the supplement;
• this amount of probiotics must be contained in each daily dose;
• all the probiotic strains in the supplement must still be alive at expiry date of the product, in the same numbers indicated on the label.
PROLIFE PROBIOTICS: HIGH QUALITY, HIGH CONCENTRATION
Prolife probiotics comply with all requirements of the Ministry of Health to a very high level.
• Long lifespan, full of vitality: the probiotic microorganisms remain alive and full of vitality for the entire shelf life of the product.
• High concentration of live cells every day: up to 25 billion per daily dose.
• Safe and effective: detailed scientific documentation is available for the probiotic microorganisms in Prolife supplements, regarding their effectiveness and safety.
Long life for probiotics: Prolife’s production technology
REDUCING WATER ACTIVITY (AW)
The vitality of probiotics is particularly threatened by what is called water activity. Water activity involves that part of water not bound to the various constituents of the supplement, but which remains free and reacts with the various substances present, including the probiotics. In contact with water activity, probiotics lose their vitality. Numerous scientific studies have shown that probiotics can survive well at room temperature if the levels of water activity are kept very low.
So when making a probiotic supplement it is essential to minimise the amount of water activity to under 0.1.
Prolife’s production technology ensures that water activity remains under 0.1 for the entire shelf life of the supplement.
Dry Fill Process
This is Prolife’s patent production system. During preparation the product is protected from water activity and packaged in a “dry” environment.
A special bottle with a measuring cap, containing probiotics in powder form. A special layer traps humidity, protecting the lactic acid bacteria.
The table shows that the Aw level remains under 0.1, after months of warehousing. The clinical trial was carried out on Prolife Pediatrico in the laboratories of Zeta Farmaceutici, in compliance with Rome II.
The table shows the effectiveness of Prolife’s production system in protecting against Aw.
The purple line shows the action of the 3-phase cap. The blue line, the combined action of the 3-phase cap and the Dry Fill Process.
After 24 months, the level of Aw is still under 0.1.
The clinical trial was carried out on Prolife Pediatrico in the laboratories of Zeta Farmaceutici, in compliance with Rome II.
Prolife: the first probiotics with certified vitality
Prolife supplements were the first in Italy to obtain “certification of probiotic vitality” for the product. This certification was awarded by independent certification body CSQA, which verified Prolife’s production procedures and analysed the supplements. The certified products are: Prolife 10 Forte, Prolife 10 Forte Capsule, Prolife Lactobacilli and Prolife Pediatrico.
• guarantees the consumer probiotic content until product expiry date;
• for mixtures of microorganisms, ensures minimum quantities stated on the label are maintained.
To further guarantee quality, we use control standards that are stricter than those prescribed in Ministry of Health Guidelines for Probiotics and Prebiotics.
Prebiotics: of key importance in the life of probiotics
Prebiotics are food components that are not absorbed by the intestine and that encourage the activity of microbial flora.
• They stimulate the growth of lactic acid bacteria.
• They help the bacteria work better.
Prebiotics are mostly carbohydrates – oligosaccharides in particular. Among these, fructooligosaccharides play a very important role.
Since 1996, Prolife has chosen to use an innovative prebiotic – gluco-oligosaccharide – which stimulates the growth of bifidobacteria in the colon.
Together, probiotics and prebiotics are more effective
Prebiotics encourage the activity of the probiotics in Prolife supplements:
• they improve their vitality and stability;
• they help them colonise the intestine;
• they increase their effectiveness.
Together, probiotics and prebiotics can:
• strengthen the immune system;
• cure diarrhoea faster;
• reduce intestinal bloating;
• reduce symptoms of IBS.
Several strains are better than one
Many supplements only contain one probiotic microorganism. Prolife, however, has chosen to rely on:
• a mixture of several strains, from various species;
• a large number of probiotics for each strain.
A multi-strain formula can be more effective than one based on a single strain. Together, the various strains and species can develop synergies better able to block the growth and metabolic activity of harmful microorganisms.
Prolife: all the strains, all the quantities
This table shows the strains used in all products from the Prolife product line, with the maximum quantities per strain.
|Probiotic||Quantity per dose|
|Lactobacillus Plantarum Lp115||Up to 4 billion|
|Lactobacillus Acidophilus La-14||Up to 2 billion|
|Lactobacillus Spogenes – Bacillus Coagulans MTCC 5260||Up to 4 billion|
|Bifidobacterium Lactis BI-04||Up to 2 billion|
|Bifidobacterium Lactis HN019||Up to 2 billion|
|Lactobacillus Brevis||Up to 1 billion|
|Bifidobacterium Lactis HN001||Up to 1 billion|
|Lactobacillus Casei R2 15||Up to 1 billion|
|Lactobacillus Gasseri Lg-36||Up to 1 billion|
|Lactobacillus Helveticus R0052||Up to 1 billion|
Prolife: made and guaranteed by Zeta Farmaceutici
Dietary supplements interact with our bodies. So it is important that the origin and quality of all their components are guaranteed. Prolife is made by Zeta Farmaceutici, an Italian pharmaceutical company founded in 1947.
Created in the research laboratories of Zeta Farmaceutici.
Teams of experts and the latest technology develop products that are always in line with the most advanced scientific and dietary research findings.
Made using pharmaceutical procedures.
Zeta Farmaceutici makes drugs and medical devices. So its dietary supplements are made using the same safety and quality procedures it applies to drug production.
Certification of production safety.
Zeta Farmaceutici has been awarded ISO 22000 Certification, regarding the safety management system for dietary products. This is the international standard for the production of dietary supplements.